Monday, May 15, 2017

A New Model: What Confidence, Beauty, and Power Really Look Like by Ashley Graham

When I first heard about this book, I was very excited.  Finally a plus-size model that wrote a book!  But for some reason, I didn't account for all the model talk.

Even though the book is titled A New Model, I thought there would be less of the model and more of the Ashley.  Though Ashley does talk about her life in terms of her attraction to men, her weight, her relationship with her husband Justin, etc...she also talks a lot about modeling, which is understandable.  I mean, she is a model.  But most of her target audience isn't.  So when it came to the modeling portions of her book, I was disappointed.  I'm not going to be a model, but I just want more confidence, beauty, and power, and how to get them without being a model.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that her book tended to drift away from those three aspects and focus mostly on the model part and her experience being in the industry.  She did talk about confidence, beauty, and power here and there, but it was not the sole focus of her book, like I would have wanted.

Even so, her book is pretty entertaining when it comes to her personal life and how she got to be where she is now.  Basically any part of the book that you can relate to is good, but the rest is more of a dragging experience read.

3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment